Metal FAB Metal 3D Printing Equipment
Direct Metal Additive Manufacturing Equipment(SLM)
Figure 1.Equipment appearance
Founded in 2012, Additive Industries (AI) is located in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, where high-end equipment such as optics, semiconductors and electron microscopes are used. AI's product design team and development team are based on an in-depth understanding of optical control, and ASML. Based on the sharing of laser rapid calibration patents, MetalFAB1, a metal printer that integrates the complex process of metal 3D printing into one, has been developed. AI's team is mainly responsible for equipment design and post-equipment integration debugging. All of its external parts processing is shared with the well-known semiconductor equipment manufacturing company ASML, which is the main reason why AI can quickly obtain the recognition of users.
Based on the domestic market, “Xinshan Additives” has introduced international advanced equipment to promote the rapid development of the additive manufacturing industry. Together with Additive Industries (AI) of the Netherlands, it has become the only official authorized dealer in China.
Figure 2. Industry aggregation map
Since its sales in 2016, MetalFAB1 has accumulated more than 40 units in the market, mainly serving the aerospace, automotive, medical, and mold industries.
Figure 3. Appearance of different configuration devices
Table 1. Main parameters of the equipment
420 x 420 x 400 [mm]
Yb fibre laser, 500 [W] /1 [kW]
Number of lasers
Ti6Al4V, AlSi10Mg, ScalmAlloy, 316L, 1.2709
Inconel 718 etc.
Number of storage substrates: 8
Store print parts: 2-4 furnace (depending on the height of the printed part)
Remote operation and monitoring
Implemented by Additive World Platform
Process quality control
Laser power, molten pool, powder quality, etc.
Compared to traditional metal 3D printers, MetalFAB1 has the following revolutionary technologies:
1. When multiple laser modules are selected, each laser can scan all the way to avoid the problem of re-melting quality of the cross-lap area existing in traditional printers.
2. The equipment is equipped with a permanent life filter and an automatic explosion suppression device, which reduces the user's filter core cost and reduces the potential safety risk when replacing the filter element.
3. The equipment does not need to be opened for operation, reducing argon consumption and powder dispersion.
4. The substrate and scanning galvanometer of the device can be automatically calibrated before each printing job to ensure the accuracy of the printed parts and perfectly solve the problem of consistency of performance of different batch parts.
5. The powder optimization processing system built in each printing compartment of the equipment can fully recover the powder, sieving and re-injecting the powder without opening the tank, thus avoiding the moisture oxidation of the powder.
6. Multi-chamber alternate printing, can print a variety of materials on one device, no need to change powder, improve equipment utilization, block powder escape, prevent quality problems caused by dust mixing
Flexible modular combination, users can choose modules according to the type of materials, printing efficiency and procurement budget, all modules can be seamlessly connected and replenished at any time. The optional configuration is as follows:
Table 2. Introduction of each module
Control module, system peripheral
Additive manufacturing module for specific material configuration
Laser module, up to four lasers
Exchange module, load substrate, take out finished workpiece
Handling the robot, loading the substrate, taking out the finished workpiece
Human-computer interaction module
Human-computer interaction module, touch screen operation device
2-4 print modules
Scalable additive manufacturing module
Heat treatment module
Heat treatment module with a maximum temperature of 1100 ° C
Store printed finished workpieces and up to 8 new substrates
Human machine exchange interface
Human machine exchange interface
The equipment is equipped with a switch module and a robotic component to assist the user in the installation of the substrate and the transfer between different compartments. This technology avoids the risk of damage to the respiratory tract and dust explosion caused by the operator's contact with the powder, and reduces the opening of the door. The argon is wasted.
Figure 3. Robot module motion channel
Figure 4. Equipment double warehouse perspective